Monday 24 April 2023

A - Z Challenge 2023 - T is for Television

#AtoZChallenge 2023
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge
a-to-zchallenge.com

This year I'm writing about things connected with Being a Grandparent.  For an introduction to my grandchildren check out my theme reveal here.

Television programmes have changed so much during my lifetime.  My memories of children's TV are things like Watch with Mother and Bill and Ben the Flower Pot Men.  But then I can also remember the test card when programmes weren't on air.


This one was introduced in 1967 when I was 8, following the introduction of colour TVs.  

Now of course you can watch TV 24/7 and the choice of programmes is mind boggling.

Naturally children's TV has progressed too.  My kids had things like Thomas the Tank Engine, Rainbow and Playschool.

Thomas is still around but he's definitely had some work done! lol

Of course lots of the programmes claim to be educational but some are more so than others.  And some are just mind numbing.  One of Ella's favourites is Cocomelon which is about a family with 3 children.  Lots of songs and repetition.  But at least it's fairly normal.  Unlike In the Night Garden which has characters such as Igglepiggle, Makka Pakka and Upsy Daisy as well as the Ninky Nonk and Pinky Ponk!  It's a lot of nonsense but it is oddly calming and good at bedtimes.

Then of course there are lots of action programmes such as Paw Patrol and Octonauts.  And you can always find a programme with dinosaurs, trains or trucks.

But there are times when the television is useful:


Especially when you want 5 minutes peace!

4 comments:

  1. The girl on Test Card F is Carole Hersee. Her father was an engineer with the BBC and volunteered his daughter for the job. I think she got paid 50 pounds for it, and when all was said and done she ad a Guinness World Record for the most hours on TV. She's been a West End costume designer for years. She still has the clown, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many hours were spent watching Sesame Street in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Television does make a good baby-sitter!! I agree that programming has changed drastically since I was a youngster!! We won't even go there!! LOL Great post, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.