Wednesday 26 April 2023

A - Z Challenge 2023 - V is for Vinny

#AtoZChallenge 2023
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge
a-to-zchallenge.com

This year I'm writing about things connected with Being a Grandparent.  For an introduction to my grandchildren check out my theme reveal here.

Vinny (Vincent) is Grandson #4 born on 22nd September 2020.  Another day we won't forget as it's also the day we moved house.  We had arrived at our new house and were beginning to try and make sense of everything when I had to down tools and go and look after big brother Rory.

Vinny was another one impatient to be here arriving early and weighing in at just under 6lb.  Unfortunately he was jaundiced and had an infection so he had to spend a few days in the NICU

It was actually a week before he made it home.






Grandpa enjoying his first cuddle.  You can see the bruising on Vinny's hand from the canula he had to have.

I'm so proud of all my kids though because having babies during lockdown was not easy.  Fortunately all the partners were able to be there for the births but they couldn't stay with them for the whole time of the labour so it was quite stressful for them.

I've spent a lot of time with Vinny as once his Mummy went back to work I looked after him 1 day a week to help with the cost of childcare.  They were lucky to find a good nursery a five minute walk from their flat which both boys attended.  

After we moved house I would often look after him here and he went through a spell where he was always definite about what he wanted for lunch - scrambled egg, baked beans and toast.  He was always good for me but he wasn't happy if I tried to vary the menu lol.

He's a really good talker now - he seemed to go from just using words to talking in whole sentences that make sense.  (His Daddy was the same.)  He also loves reading books with me.

I miss having him but I decided I didn't want to be tied down to a particular day each week so since January he has gone to nursery full time.  

Of course I'm still happy to help out where I can during the week and some weeks that means several days involving some form of childcare for one or other grandchild. 

Vinny loves roaring like a dinosaur, playing with playdough and spoiling his brother's games.  He's also becoming quite cheeky and slightly naughty at times but it's hard to be cross with him.

Most days he doesn't have a nap now, or just a short one but there are still times when it just gets too much lol.

This was after he'd had a haircut recently.  Looking very grown up!


3 comments:

  1. Vinny is adorable!! I have so enjoyed your grandparent posts, Wendy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moving and a baby being born. That's certainly a lot to deal with in one day. And in 2020, too! Vinny is adorable.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.