Wednesday 19 April 2023

A - Z Challenge 2023 - P is for Parenting V Grandparenting

#AtoZChallenge 2023
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge
a-to-zchallenge.com

This year I'm writing about things connected with Being a Grandparent.  For an introduction to my grandchildren check out my theme reveal here.

I find being a Grandparent is very different to being a parent.

There are lots of advantages for example you get to give them back when you've had enough and usually, because you're not constantly tired due to sleep deprivation, you have more patience with them.  Also because we're retired we have more time.  We're not constantly worrying about all the chores that might need doing.  They can wait until tomorrow.

But you do worry about them more, especially when you're looking after them and are responsible for them.  The last thing you want to be doing when their parents return is to be explaining why there's a bump on their head or a bruise on the leg and so on.  I tend to be hyper vigilant but of course accidents will happen.

Parenting styles are different now too but of course we have to follow the parent's lead on how to deal with things which can be challenging at times.  Especially when they don't always want to hear about how we did things when our children were little.

Fortunately I have good relationships with all my DILs and hopefully I don't step out of line too often.  Clearly they're all happy to leave their children in my care so I must be doing something right!



2 comments:

  1. I was so fortunate to have my mom able to watch my kids every day while I worked. She did have a different parenting style but at least I knew the kids were safe.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids are blessed to have you two as grandparents for their children. Grandparents get lots of passes, I think, and that is as it should be!! Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.