Thursday 13 April 2023

A - Z Challenge 2023 - K is for Knitting

#AtoZChallenge 2023
Please check out the April Blogging from A to Z Challenge
#AtoZChallenge
a-to-zchallenge.com

This year I'm writing about things connected with Being a Grandparent.  For an introduction to my grandchildren check out my theme reveal here.

I haven't done a lot of knitting for my Grandchildren but they have all had a blanket made for them.

This tradition started when I knew my daughter was expecting Nathan.  I decided to knit a blanket for the baby.  Of course I didn't choose an easy granny square crochet blanket I chose a complicated knitted blanket.  

The centre square was fairly straightforward


But the panels around the edge were very hard.  I was glad to discover the use of a lifeline row in knitting because there were lots of mistakes made and I had to keep going back over the work.

And then of course Nathan decided to make an early appearance so the blanket wasn't even finished when he was born but I finished it fairly soon after.

Having made a blanket for Nathan it started the tradition but of course next time around I had two blankets to make.  Matt and Amy announced they were expecting and then Michael and Elizabeth announced they were expecting too and the babies were due within a few weeks of each other.  As it turned out there is only 2 weeks between Noah and Rory.

I opted for a slightly easier blanket but it still took a while to get them done especially when I realised that the edging was going to take almost as long as the main part of the blanket to knit!



By the time I was on my third round of blankets and needing 3 blankets as there are only 2 months between Vinny, Miles and Ella I'd opted for a much simpler design and they're not as big!



This is Miles with his blanket.  I couldn't find pictures of the ones I did for Vinny and Ella but hers was in different shades of pink - we knew she was going to be a girl.

My latest project, a knitted pig for Ella, is almost finished and I do have another blanket on the go.  Not sure who will get that one but with our extended family there are bound to be more babies coming along at some point.


2 comments:

  1. Knitting has always been hard for me. I can crochet pretty well if the patterns are fairly simple.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your knitted blankets are just beautiful and will be wonderful keepsakes for the kids that they can use for their own kids some day. A wonderful talent!! xo

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.