Thursday 4 April 2019

D is for Donny Osmond (and drink)

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter


This year I decided not to tie myself to a theme.  I wanted to do something that felt more like writing rather than composing posts.  I didn’t want it to be a story that had to be followed from start to finish so what I’ve ended up with are: “Conversations in my Head”.
 

Psst.  Guess what?  Wendy’s not up yet so I’m going to tell you about how 
Donny Osmond was her first crush.  She was mad about him.  Puppy Love was the first single she bought.  Albums followed plus posters on the wall and then there was the Biggleswade incident.

Wendy is very close to her cousin Jill.   With no sisters of her own Jill’s the nearest thing to a sister Wendy has.  They often spent time together during school holidays and one year Wendy was staying with Jill when the Osmonds were appearing on TV every evening.

They’d gone out shopping, travelling by train but, when they returned home they managed to get on the wrong train.  Going in the opposite direction to where they needed to go.  They decided to get off at the first stop and get a train going back the other way.  It seemed a sensible thing to do.  Except that the first stop was Biggleswade, a tiny place where trains do not stop very often.  They had a long wait before a train came.  They missed the programme.  There were no video recorders in those days.  We’re talking a long time ago!  Wendy was not happy and of course blamed Jill for not knowing which train to catch.

Hey, you’re casting aspersions on my age, again Alice!

You were young and now you’re not.  It’s a fact.  Get used to it.

It was raining and miserable waiting at that station.

It was an easy mistake to make.

I don’t think so.

Why?  Because you wouldn’t have done it?

Of course not.

What about that time you were on the wrong platform at Forest Gate and when they announced your train you had to make a quick dash over the bridge to the opposite platform?

Umm how is it that I’m the writer and you’re only the muse but you’re deciding what gets written?

Do you really expect me to answer that?

You could drive me to drink.

You’re pretty good at doing that yourself.  I’ve seen the pile of empty wine bottles in your cellar.  And what’s more you don’t even need the instruction “Drink me” to get you started.

Well at least I know what I’m drinking.

Is that supposed to be a recommendation?  Your stuff tastes of vinegar.  At least mine has interesting flavours.

Interesting flavours?  Cherry-tart, custard, pineapple, roast turkey, toffee and hot buttered toast?  Give me strength!

They’re not designed to give you strength and wine doesn’t do that either.  Too much of it and your head starts to wobble.

My head doesn’t wobble.

No, sorry I forgot, the room starts moving of its own accord.

I don’t know what you mean and anyway wine just usually makes me feel sleepy.  You should try it some time.  Might keep you quiet for a while!


8 comments:

  1. Your Muse is a trouble maker, Wendy!! This month is going to be interesting! (winking)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this theme idea and I agree that your muse is definitely trouble lol
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever forgive Jill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. We are more like sisters than cousins!

      Delete
  4. Did you watch Donny on "the masked singer"-- I didn't-- but had I known he was on there I would have watched- still a big fan of Donny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have a crush on Leif Garret and Shawn Cassidy lol I liked the Donny and Marie show. I watched it.
    Jackie's Bookbytes Letter D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the muse of yours! She is so 'in your face' about stuff!! hahaha. I used to have a crush on Charlton Heston. I think that ages me a bit! Started when I saw Ben Hur - he had the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Donny was a little young for me but I did have posters of David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman on my walls as a teen. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.