Saturday 13 April 2019

L is for Languishing & Language

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter

This year I decided not to tie myself to a theme.  I wanted to do something that felt more like writing rather than composing posts.  I didn’t want it to be a story that had to be followed from start to finish so what I’ve ended up with are: “Conversations in my Head”.


I see you are still languishing in bed Wendy.  You do realise most people will have been up hours ago?

I am not languishing Alice.  I am neither pining away nor feeling miserable or weak.  I am trying to sleep.  If you must insist on trying out fancy words you could at least check the meaning.

Hmm so now you’re the expert on the English language are you?

Not at all.  I do try to write using correct grammar and punctuation and I like to think I’m pretty good at spelling but if you asked me about sentence construction and tenses I would be useless at giving you an answer.         I would probably do better talking about tenses in French as we were taught those.  But of course I’ve forgotten virtually all the French I ever learned due to lack of use.

Well I wouldn’t want you speaking in French; I wouldn’t understand a word.  Anyway most French people switch to English when you try speaking to them so what’s the point?  Same with Germans.  They all speak English and in many cases better than us.  Although now we are trying to extricate ourselves from Europe maybe that will change.  Maybe they won’t use English at all just to spite us.

Alice!

Oh ok.  I know I’m not supposed to mention the B word.  Although I didn’t, but it’s hard when that seems to be the only topic of political conversations these days. Oops mentioned the P word too.  Now I only have to make a religious reference and I’ll have a hat trick.  Although I have a bit of a thing about hats, well more about their wearers if truth be told.  I’m glad you don’t wear hats very often.  I’d find it a bit disconcerting.

Would it make you quieten down?

Possibly.  But don’t get any ideas.  With a hat on your head I’d probably feel warm and cosy so I wouldn’t be going anywhere.

Except perhaps to sleep?  Or maybe to languish?

Maybe.  Actually I often languish because you definitely neglect me a lot of the time!

I don’t do it on purpose Alice.  But it’s hard to have a conversation with you when I’m busy doing something or going somewhere.

I blame the grandchildren.  You’re always dashing off to look after one or other of them.  It’s most unfair.  It can be days before I can get you to notice me.  Actually you’re right.  You don’t languish.  Your head hits the pillow at the end of the day and you’re asleep almost immediately.

Until you wake me up in the middle of the night and I can’t get back to sleep.

Actually it’s usually your bladder that wakes you up.

Alice!  Some things shouldn’t be discussed so openly.

Alright.  Don’t get your knickers in a twist after all I could have been much more personal…..

I think I’m going to find a hat!
 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with John!! Alice is just a little pushy!! I think you might be happy to get to the letter Z and possibly put her to bed! (winking) LOL These posts are very fun, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I agree with John and Terri. LOL Cute Wendy!!
    Have a Happy Easter!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.