Tuesday 2 April 2019

B is for Ballerina

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter

This year I decided not to tie myself to a theme.  I wanted to do something that felt more like writing rather than composing posts.  I didn’t want it to be a story that had to be followed from start to finish so what I’ve ended up with are: “Conversations in my Head”.


Psst it’s 7 am is that ok?


Only if there’s tea.


I’m a muse not a maid.


Then leave me alone until hubby brings me tea.


But I want to remind you of how you wanted to be a ballerina.


That was a long time ago.


But that’s how all the best stories start…..Once upon a time, a long time ago….


Hey stop with reminding me of the age thing.


But you looked so pretty as a ballerina.


I was too skinny.


Really?  Wouldn’t know it now.


I thought you were supposed to give me good ideas not make me feel bad.


Just making an observation.


You’re saying I’m fat.


No just not skinny and you are a bit vertically challenged too.


Oh so now I’m fat and short!


Being short can have its advantages.  You’re never going to hit your head as you go through a door.  Although you might struggle to reach things on top shelves. 


Well I was very skinny as a child.  Turn me sideways in a leotard and I almost disappeared.


Hmm, I know that feeling but I bet you enjoyed wearing a tutu though and pretending to be a fairy or a princess?


It was lovely yes but there was the slight problem of bunions.


Onions?


No bunions!


Oh.


That’s made you quiet.


Well it’s hard working out a fun way to put a spin on bunions.

They definitely were not fun.  I had great trouble getting shoes to fit.


Didn’t you have a lovely pair of white boots for a while?


They were plaster casts after I’d had corrective surgery.


Really?  But you walked on them.


I did.


Oh.  It sounds painful.


It was and it meant no pointe work for me so no chance of being a ballerina.  Although I did manage to carry on with dancing and actually qualified as a teacher of Tap Dancing but I didn’t keep it up once I left school and started work.


Hmm I don’t think I can put a good spin on this at all.


Fine muse you’re turning out to be.


Perhaps we should try baking cakes instead.  I love a good tea party.


I’m sure you do but it might not end well!   Although with cakes it might be safe, just don’t mention jam tarts!


Spoilsport!

 

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Double ouch in my case. It's very different now - usually done one at a time.

      Delete
  2. I remember my daughter's days as a dancer very well- those pointe shoes hurt to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes. Didn't we all want to be a ballerina? Thankfully I didn't have foot surgery but I also did not pursue ballet or tap, though I loved them both. I enjoyed you and your muse!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never wanted to be a ballerina. I was always too fat and uncoordinated. Too bad about the bunions. Hope they are not bothering you now.
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look at these young girls standing en pointe and all I can think is "that must hurt like hell." My niece, on the other hand, has been in ballet most of her life (she's 18) and is tremendous at it, at least from what I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I'm not the only one with conversations in my head? ;) Fascinating where they lead sometimes! Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! The dreams of our youth. I wanted to be an actress. It was 1959 - I saw Ben Hur (I was 12) and made up my mind then - I was going to go into acting. I even had the lead in my High School Senior Class play - Our Town. I fell into teaching grade school instead. I wasn't the best teacher, but I was able to make a living. I often wonder if I followed my dreams and tried to make a living as an actress. Besides the fact I probably wouldn't eat very often ... I would have missed out on 2 great kids and a wonderful grand daughter. On balance - I am glad I didn't do that stupid acting thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why are the 7 AM ideas so sucky? It's too early to think, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a clever way to write these posts. My girls were both into ballet, my oldest more seriously but she is 'vertically challenged' too. Still a beautiful thing to watch. Good luck with the A to Z! Hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.