Monday 29 April 2019

Y is for Yellow

#AtoZChallenge 2019 Tenth Anniversary blogging from A to Z challenge letter

This year I decided not to tie myself to a theme.  I wanted to do something that felt more like writing rather than composing posts.  I didn’t want it to be a story that had to be followed from start to finish so what I’ve ended up with are: “Conversations in my Head”.


My hair IS NOT YELLOW!

Alice can you please stop shouting.  And what do you mean your hair is not yellow.

I’ve seen the pictures.  The drawings of me.  My hair is shown as being yellow!  No one has yellow hair.

Well some people might actually have yellow hair Alice and of course yours is a lovely shade of blonde I think.

You think?  What do you mean you think?

Well Alice as you’re in my head and not real your hair could be anything I want it to be.  Sometimes I think of it as being short, dark and VERY curly!

No, no, no!  It’s blonde, and long and just a bit wavy.      

Absolutely.  But illustrations in books for children are often not totally realistic.  Characters are often beautiful and flawless or the opposite.  Middle ground doesn’t sell books too well.

Now you’ve interrupted my beauty sleep Alice so can you leave me alone for a bit now?

No.  You have to look after Rory today so you need to be up.

Oh yes.  How could I forget?

That’s what happens when you get old.  And have to dye your hair so that people think you’re less old than you really are.  If people saw your hair in its natural state they would think you are ancient.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Alice.  It’s hard work maintaining your looks as you get older.    And my hair is one of the few concessions I make to trying to look younger.

Well I guess that’s true.  All the other bits of you are natural at least.  And your teeth are still your own.

Alice do you have to remind me of things I’d rather not look forward to, like false teeth?

And the creaking bones?  Although I think you already have some of those.

I certainly do Alice.

And the ……

Enough Alice.  I don’t need to be reminded about the downside of growing old.  Today I’m going to concentrate on the plus side – being retired and spending time with my Grandchildren.  And Rory, whose hair might also be classed as yellow.

My hair IS NOT YELLOW!
 
Now, now, Alice.  I heard you the first time.

 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my!! Doesn't Alice know she can never win an argument? Very cute and thanks or the giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny! Alice is a hoot :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should imagine it a different color. Green, maybe...

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.