Thursday 17 January 2019

#Jusjojan - 17/1/19 - Inch.

Just Jot It January is hosted by Linda H Gill - here's the link to her site where you will find all the rules and the place to leave your link to your own post if you decide to join in plus links to all the other participants.

The background to the challenge can be found here



Your prompt for JusJoJan 2019, January 17th is brought to you by John Holton! Click here to find his last post and say hi while you’re there! John’s word for our prompt today is “inch.” Use it anywhere in your post or make it the theme of your post. Have fun!

I'm one of the generation that grew up with inches, feet, yards and miles not to mention pounds, shillings and pence but during my lifetime have had to get to grips with centimetres, metres and kilometres and just pounds and pence.  Thankfully we never had to convert our cash to Euros unless we were venturing abroad. 

Fortunately I've been happy to embrace change and sometimes, especially when taking part in a quiz, or a blog challenge it's been quite useful to know my inches from from my centimetres.

Of course many of our measurements are quite quirky.  An inch is based on the width of a thumb.  So why not call it a thumb?  After all we have a foot?  And what was using schemes that relied on knowing your 12 times table all about?

I'm glad we're now using a metric system but must admit that I'm still happier using miles - unless I'm having to walk them where you'll find me inching along!



3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I'm afraid the metric system is too confusing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was certainly not too difficult for you because of your children, they probably learned already cm and meters at school.
    I had no difficulties to change to Euro, but there are still people who convert into Belgian Franks which is stupid, because the value of 2001 would not be the same, so of course for them everything becomes expensive. I always had the UK as an exemple, when I payed 5 pounds for a daily travel card in 1999, last time I was in London I payed 12 pounds and it's still the same money ! So it's not the fault of the Euro !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to chuckle at your last sentence!! Me too!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.