Wednesday 30 January 2019

Wednesday Medley - 30/1/19

The Wednesday Medley is hosted by Terri.  Pop over to her site to see how it works and who's taking part.
 
 NATIONAL CROISSANT DAY – January 30

NATIONAL CROISSANT DAY - January 30

NATIONAL CROISSANT DAY

In the United States, National Croissant Day is observed each year on January 30th. Croissants are a buttery, crescent-shaped rolls that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  
The key to a perfect croissant is laminating the dough. Laminating the dough is a process by which butter is folded into the mixture creating multiple thin layers of butter and dough. The result is a mouth-watering flaky crust and airy body.
Legend surrounds this pastry, as is often the case with a popular, worldly treat. What is known, is that crescent-shaped breads have been found around the world for ages. One of these was the Kipferl which originated in Austria as far back as the 13th century. This nonlaminated bread is more like a roll.
Credit for the croissant we know today is given to an Austrian military officer, August Zang. In 1939 he opened a Viennese bakery in Paris introducing France to Viennese baking techniques.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Stop by the bakery for a fresh, warm croissant or try making your own using this recipe: Croissants recipe.
1.  Well, I do love croissants when they are fresh, but day-old croissants need to be turned into a donut.  I happen to really like the croissants that have a donut-like glaze on them!  Sugar overload but so good.  So... do you like croissants?  What is your favorite way to eat them?
I love croissants!  Especially freshly baked ones.  And if they have chocolate in them - even better!
2.  Speaking of food... How do you handle stress?
By eating too much!  Picking at all the wrong things.
3.  Out of the negative emotions of greed, anger, jealousy, and hate, which one would you say affects you the most?
Probably anger. I don't think I'm greedy and I don't tend to be jealous of too much.  Hate is such a negative thing that I don't give that space but I can definitely get angry from time to time.  Usually when I'm frustrated about something or someone!
4.  Out of the positive emotions of compassion, positivity, enthusiasm, and initiative, which one is your biggest strength?
Hard to choose between compassion and initiative.  Probably compassion because I show that more.  I'm not a natural leader but I can definitely take the initiative if no one else is prepared to.
5.  What do you get every time you go grocery shopping, other than the staples such as bread, milk, butter, flour, sugar...
Hmm probably chocolate.....in some form or another.
6.  Please tell us something random about your week so far.

My routine with Nathan got changed again this week as Mummy was on a training course.  This meant I looked after him on Monday and Tuesday and the days were longer than usual.  He is very entertaining but two days on the trot is tiring.  His love for me and his Grandpa makes up for all of that though.  He is always so pleased to see us and often cries when we go home.

Today was going to be a quiet day but I ended up cleaning my oven doors!  You know how you keep looking at things, thinking I must get around to cleaning that and then you get to the point where it has to be cleaned NOW!   Hard work but satisfying.

7 comments:

  1. I remember those days when I used to watch my two grandson when one was a toddler and the other an infant. I wouldn't exchange those days for anything but they surely can be tiring! Of course that was nearly 20 years ago...can't even imagine it now! I enjoyed all of your answers...and what's your secret to cleaning the oven doors??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to cry when I had to leave my Grandparents. It is such a special bond! I am glad you get to watch him. Loved your answers! Have a great day!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) I did that cleaning with our bathroom on Monday. I could not stand the messy closet, the bottles of unused shampoo or other. Time to clean.
    Have a great rest of the week,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're supposed to CLEAN? oven doors?? LOL It's that way with my windows. But now that it's -30F I can use that as an excuse and put it off until spring. :=) Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's something so common like bread ! Lots of people eat it for breakfast !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder.. my oven door needs a good clean! Maybe later today or tomorrow...yeah tomorrow.. today I am just going to snuggle with the pup..its just too cold! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have at least three things I have been putting off. It always feels good to get things done though. Good for you. Nathan is adorable but I can imagine how tired I would be after two days of a toddler! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.