Saturday 12 January 2019

#SoCS / #Jusjojan - 12/1/19 - Art

Your prompt for #JusJoJan and Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “art.” Talk about something that’s hanging on your wall. Add a picture, if you’d like. If you have no art on your walls, talk about something in a museum. Have fun!

Both challenges are hosted by Linda H Gill - here's the link to her site where you can find out more.  It's the place to leave your link to your own post if you decide to join in plus links to all the other participants.















Well I don't really have works of art on our walls.  We have a few prints here and there but nothing worthy of discussion.  But hey photography is art so I'm going to discuss this - a framed collage of photos that hangs in our kitchen and is often a conversation starter.

The photos are of my hubbies family - hubby is top left, his father is top right and his grandfather is the central photo.  The kids on the strange looking donkey are hubby and a few of his siblings plus his parents and there are various family photos of different generations.  

His family came over from Germany and the shop (below hubby) is near Victoria Park in London's East End.  It was run at the time by his Great Grandfather as a bakery.  It's still there and last time hubby went past it was back to being a cafe / cake shop.  It has also been an interiors shop at one time and Hubby's Grandfather ran it as a butchers.

Family members have traced the family tree back to relations in Germany and we have visited them and a few have been here.  It's good to know your roots.

Sadly this collage reminds me of how much I need to work on our photos.  I have lots of old black and white photos from my Mum and my Grandmother that need sorting and putting into albums.  The kids do love to look at them.  And now I have grandchildren I'm conscious of how many of our photos are just digital and although they could look at them on the computer when they are older, it would be so much nicer to have the real thing to look at.  It's a project on my objectives list (19 in 19) but on the back burner at the moment.  

Hubby used to take a more active interest in photography, belonging to a club at one point and in our first home having a dark room in the cellar.  Now it's too easy just to snap pictures on our phones.  Great to be able to create so many memories but I still prefer to see photos even if hubby's could be a little bit strange.  Of course he'd call them art!

7 comments:

  1. Photography IS an art, so I'm with your hubby! That is a great way to display those family photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mum feels the same way about photos. She likes to have something to hold in her hand or to bring to a friend's house so she can show off her great-grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pictures! And albums. I love the old picture family collage. Great idea.
    My husband used to take so many pictures with his good cameras. Unfortunately, his fingers no longer work due to diabetes. It is so sad. He was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a scrapbooker I totally get this. I have so many albums started and so many pictures to put in them. That picture collage is a very nice tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a sweet collage! There is something nice about photos that are printed out, but it's starting to seem like something of the past :-(

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's actually a very artistic collage, with the pictures from all different eras. Gathering the photos for a collage is an art in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool that your husband had his own dark room!! My husband is also into photography, he shared with me film is coming back!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.