Saturday 19 January 2019

#SoCS / #Jusjojan - 19/1/19 - Television

Your prompt for #JusJoJan and Stream of Consciousness Saturday is: “television.” Talk about your favorite show, past, present, or future, or about the apparatus itself. Enjoy!

Both challenges are hosted by Linda H Gill - here's the link to her site where you can find out more.  It's the place to leave your link to your own post if you decide to join in plus links to all the other participants.
 
















I could talk about television all day - I watch too much of it.  Well it feels like it to me probably because I definitely don't watch informative programmes.  I do watch the news most days but I watch a lot of UK dramas, quiz shows and American shows.  I don't actually watch daytime TV though and I don't watch Soaps.  If I added up the amount of hours I spend watching TV it probably wouldn't actually be that bad considering I'm retired and can spend my time pretty much as I please.

But I still feel it's a bit of a guilty pleasure so I try and combine it with doing something else - like doing the ironing or knitting, or even blogging if the programme isn't too taxing.  The trouble is I like many of the Scandinavian drama series that get shown here but of course they have subtitles.  Watching TV with subtitles and trying to knit anything complicated (or simple for that matter) do not go well together!  However if I'm in need of a total break from everything else watching something with subtitles is useful as it does focus the mind!

I tend to record a lot of programmes but I'm not convinced that I will ever get around to watching them and occasionally I have to purge the list because I've nearly filled up my recording space. 

As for the apparatus, we don't have a huge TV and it's not wall mounted either.  It works for me.  Unfortunately it doesn't always work for Hubby.  He struggles if he manages to accidentally change the source the TV is showing or for e.g. if I've been watching a DVD and then he wants to view television programmes he gets in such a muddle with the remotes.  And frustrated very quickly.  It's not so bad now that the remote control for our cable service can also be used to adjust the volume.  When you had to use the TV remote for that he found it very trying.

Fortunately we don't have the same taste in TV programmes so we don't often watch together.  Or perhaps it's unfortunate because if something does go wrong he will summon me from wherever I am in the house to sort it out.  And yes I have tried to explain it to him - many times!  Don't even get me started on what happens when the digital system needs retuning from time to time.


3 comments:

  1. Belgium was the first country in Europe with cable TV. We already had cable in 1959 but no Television ! In all new houses electricity and cable came in the same "hole". I always record films we never watch TV directly since a few years. Usually I watch from 12 til 2 that's my lunch time and then we watch a film in the evening together. Fortunately we both like crime stories, but not bloody once, style Barnaby, Lewis, Vera etc. The German channels have very good short once. We also have digital TV that means 200 channels of all countries. Everybody does. For some of them you have to pay, but that we don't do ! My son has a Smart Television you can watch Netflix and YouTube on it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. We still have one of the old TV's that has a picture tube and always have to reprogram the set-top box (we have a pre-digital set) to pick up new channels, and it seems that there are always a couple of channels that get lost when we do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Wendy, Joe and I watch way too much TV but fortunately we enjoy the same shows so we always watch together. We don't go out much and justify our addiction as our entertainment. Anyway - it works for us!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.