Monday 24 January 2022

#JusJoJan22 - 24th January - Unbelievable


Today's prompt for the Just Jot it January challenge is "Unbelievable"  Visit Linda's site to find out how the challenge works and check out other participants.

Well I think if someone had told me 2 years ago that we were about to go through a pandemic I would have found it unbelievable.  Or maybe it would have been more unimaginable as I've never lived through anything like this.

Actually my lack of knowledge on pandemics is also unbelievably limited as I've just been looking up information on them and of course apart from the often quoted influenza pandemic back in 1918, which was way before my time, there have actually been a number of pandemics during my lifetime that perhaps I should have been more aware of. 

Of course the big difference with the Covid 19 pandemic is the way our liberty has been affected.  There we were just living our lives, fortunate enough to not have any major worries and then we were being told we had to stay home.  We couldn't mix with anyone, even our families.  The restrictions seemed draconian at first but then the death rate started going up, and up and temporary hospitals and morgues were also appearing.

This seemed extreme but one of those temporary morgues appeared at the end of the road where I was living.  It was no longer unbelievable that such things were needed.  It was there as plain as day.

Online shopping took on a whole new dimension.  Zoom calls became the new way of communicating.

Two years down the line and although I'm fully vaccinated (including a booster) I still fear this disease.  Omicron has hit huge numbers of people but those affected seem to be coping with it better.  We do have effective vaccines.  There are medications that can be used.  The threat does seem to have lessened or at least that's what our Government would have us believe as restrictions are once again removed.  But still life doesn't feel back to normal.

We sat in "bubbles" for so long it's hard to venture out too far.  But we will.  One step at a time works for me.  Hopefully there will soon come a time when Covid will be something we live with, like flu.  The daily announcements on the TV news programmes of case numbers and death rates might become weekly, or even not at all because they are less significant.

We must never forget these times though, too many people have died.  Lessons must be learned.  The UK Government has done well in some areas of dealing with the pandemic but many mistakes were made.  If we ever have to face something like this again we need to be better prepared.

My big hope is that future generations will find it unbelievable that we all went around wearing masks for months and couldn't get closer than 6 feet to anyone because they won't have had the same experience.

6 comments:

  1. Amen to that last bit, Wendy! Here we are, two years later, and it does still seems unbelievable. Good post!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're still wearing masks and dealing with draconian measures here in New York, it's horrible...great post, smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all vaccinated and have the booster but we still take precautions, including mask wearing. The latest I read is that even lite cases can cause neurological problems. I personally know several people who have passed including my aunt and the husband of a friend who passed just yesterday. Covid is nothing to take lightly in my opinion. I have enjoyed all of your January posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have thought we would still be feeling like this two years on. Unbelievable is the word to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are right Wendy! I truly hope we are better prepared for the next one and understand what we did well and what we did not do well! UGH! There will, no doubt, be another one. I hope it is later rather than sooner. Have a great week! HUGS Annster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job. Totally unbelievable. We just got hit again. Fortunately it is a mild case because son was vaccinated but hadn't gotten the booster. Amazing how this disease picks and chooses who will get and who won't.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.