Tuesday 31 January 2017

#JusJoJan - Day 31 - Detritus

The Just Jot It January 31st prompt, is brought to us by Lorraine of My Frilly Freudian Slip, and is: “Detritus.”   Thank to her for the prompt but special thanks to Linda for setting up this challenge and keeping it running smoothly all month.

Hmm detritus is certainly a challenging word to fit into the content of a post.  In checking it out for inspiration I learned TMI especially on how the composting process works.    I'm good at composting.  Well I'm good at filling the compost caddy in the kitchen.  I'm also fairly good at emptying said caddy into the big compost bin in the garden.  Not one of my favourite jobs but everyone else seems to be able to ignore the overloaded kitchen caddy until it starts to get smelly.  Even then hubby is more likely to moan about what to do with vegetable peelings when it's full rather than actually empty it.  

Hubby's good at doing that.  Moaning about problems rather than looking for a solution.  He also has the cheek to moan if there are glass bottles on the side making access to the caddy awkward yet although he consumes at least half (if not more) of the wine and definitely all the beer from said bottles he rarely, very rarely takes them to the bottle bank.  Just moans if I haven't removed them from the kitchen to the cellar where I store them before I take them to be recycled.

Hubby does have his good points too but I digress.
 
Anyway back to the detritus compost.  I empty it into the big bin and it makes compost.  Right?  Well it does, eventually.  So far so good.  That's where I fall down.  Because the next stage is to use the compost.  This year I need to actually use the compost.  I need to start dealing with the detritus of my life.

11 comments:

  1. Great you are composting. Haven't gotten into it but I have plenty of old stuff detritus to go through here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never composted. We do recycle. I think I would give your good hubby a swift kick in the pants and remind him who drinks from those bottles. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but he's still working and I'm at home lol

      Delete
  3. This was a hard word, and kudos for finding a way to use it. As for composting, we've talked about it, but neither of us wants to maintain the compost heap...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it seemed a good idea when we started. I have someone to help with the garden who's involved with a community garden. I might be able to offload some there at some point.

      Delete
  4. Glad you found a way to use my word, and write an informative post.
    I miss composting -- we sneak kitchen scraps into the yard waste pickup when that's happening in our town (sshh, don't tell).
    Good luck with using the compost -- it does help the garden grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Composting is a good thing to do. My parents did this for years. We tried it when we kept a garden, but didn't work so well. I think we were too impatient, and it takes so long before you can use it! :) Good information, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quite a challenge to write about bin contents, lol ! Mr. G. "files" his garbage carton, plastic, glass, household detritus, which is good, but he too can never do that without moaning !

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.