Thursday 2 April 2020

B is for Bedrooms & Bathrooms (A-Z Challenge 2020)

 

In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


B is for Bedrooms & Baths

We have 4 ½ bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in our current home.  I say ½ because one room is so small that if it had a bed in it there wouldn’t be room for much else.  But a bed will fit so it’s been labelled a bedroom.  Or in our case a storage room for lots of stuff we have accumulated over the years and now have to sort into keep, give away or throw away.  I hate throwing things away and for those of you out there shouting “Why don’t you sell it?” Firstly most of it isn’t worth selling and secondly I don’t have the time.  Even when you give things away for free people still mess you around sometimes, saying they want something but then not bothering to come and collect it!  (And of course now thanks to Covid-19 we do have the time but can't get close to anyone to sell stuff!)

I digress.  (I do a lot of that hence my blog’s name.)

4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms is excessive for 2 people living in the house.  When there were 5 of us here, including 3 teenagers, we were very glad of all that space and the bathrooms.  The morning rush wasn’t quite so hectic.  

Moving forward, clearly we don’t need so many rooms and maybe not even so many bathrooms, although: currently two rooms are set out as bedrooms (ours and a guest room), hubby uses one room as an office / music room (he currently has 5 guitars in the house) and the final room has my bureau and sewing machine in it.

As a minimum we decided we would need 3 bedrooms, one for us, one for guests (our eldest son & his wife and young son usually stay over when they visit) and one as a multi-purpose room.

As for bathrooms it would nice to still have 2, particularly for when we do have guests staying but at the very least we decided there had to be a toilet downstairs and up.  I wouldn’t even view a house with no downstairs loo.  I tried to be pretty open minded about what we viewed.  Estate agents pictures online can be very deceptive.  I mean they certainly made our house look good!  You need to see a house in person to see what it’s really like and bad décor can be sorted.   Plumbing in an extra toilet would be beyond our expertise and in some houses just not possible.

In the current Covid-19 situation I think everyone must have about 6 toilets in their houses the way they are stockpiling toilet paper!  But if we find either of us needs to self-isolate we’ll be very glad of having 2 bathrooms and enough bedrooms to have one each!

Thanks for reading my post.  Have you got a stock of toilet rolls?  Are you running low and panicking?

14 comments:

  1. Toilet upstairs and down would be number one on my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, it sounds sensible to me to have at least a powder room (half bath) downstairs. And the paper stockpiling is ridiculous! Panic-shopping is uncalled for. I hope this doesn't go on for too many more months and that you can proceed with your house-hunting before year's end. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have two bathrooms upstairs (the master and the guest) and one in the basement (in Mary's "get away from John" room), but none on the main level, where we spend most of our lives.

    We had a stock of toilet paper already, purchased when there was so much available they'd put it on sale. Mary always tries to keep two 24-roll packs around, not because we use that much but because that's what her parents did. People thought we were nuts. Who thinks that now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep we had lots - a cellar is useful for keeing additional supplies.

      Delete
  4. You do have a large house and it will feel good to downsize when you are able to get this move back on schedule! Even with just Joe and me in the house, we are happy for two bathrooms! LOL I don't have any idea how my family managed back when there were six of us sharing one bathroom - and it was upstairs! I think we make do with what we have, just like we are making do today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I lived in a 34 foot motorhome for 4 years, to pay off bills. Then we inherited my parents last house they lived in. A small 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage home. PERFECT for us. Just last year, we decided to turn the quest room into my sewing/craft and extra storage room. We made that decision, because it had been a long time, since we had over night guests. Well, we no sooner got rid of the bed, and furniture when we had overnight guests! I still am happy we are using our home to our advantage. We'll just continue to make do. The other room is our office.

    and Yes, 2 bathrooms are a MUST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think unfortunately you just expand to the space you have available which is why downsizing is a challenge.

      Delete
  6. I agree with having two bathrooms. We have 3 bedrooms and 1-1/2 bath. I'd like to remodel and make our bedroom bigger and have a master bath. One can dream!

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get that 1/2 bedroom thing! We have 3-1/2 bedrooms. One room is big enough for a twin bed, a tiny bedside table, and a chest of drawers and that is it. Our house is over 85 years old and has been added onto and is way too much house for us now that our kids are mostly gone.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.