Wednesday 1 April 2020

A is for Anxiety (A-Z Challenge 2020)





In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


A is for Anxiety


It was hard not to feel anxious once we set ourselves on the road to moving.  Believe me there are plenty of things to be anxious about.


Will we find a buyer?


Will we find a house we like?


If we succeed in the above will we make it to completion?


Will we be happy in our new home?


Of course most of the anxiety is caused by uncertainty, something that someone like me, who has issues around being in control, find particularly difficult.  Regular readers will know of my toilet demon.  (For new readers see below.)  I’ve worked hard to keep the demon under control but as you can imagine during the process of trying to move it’s been much harder.  Especially when you’re exploring new areas, new homes etc.  I can say that I’ve probably tested out the plumbing in every house we’ve visited!


I’ve also found myself waking during the night and then finding it hard to get back to sleep as I weigh up the good and bad points of the houses that we’ve viewed and the pros and cons of different areas. 


Being anxious is also not helpful with decision making.    It tends to make me want to sit on the fence and do nothing.  But then we wouldn’t get anywhere so I have to be more decisive but then I get anxious over whether I’ve made the right choice!


At the time of writing this post we have a buyer in place but nowhere to go.  Anxious?  You bet I am! 


Now that we are in the midst of the Covid-19 situation and currently locked down, we cannot proceed with trying to find a property.  House sales have been put on hold.  Who knows when things will get back to normal or if we will still have a buyer?  Time will tell.

One thing I have noticed though is that now things have gone very quiet and I'm not totally absorbed with the house hunting process, I'm actually sleeping better. That's something positive at least.

Toilet Demon: the monster that says in my head "you'll need the toilet" whenever I'm confronted with a situation where that might be tricky so things like using public transport, sitting in the middle of a theatre row, going for a walk in the forest.  When the demon was really on the loose he could cause full blown panic attacks and stopped me from doing lots of things.  I've battled hard to overcome this and mostly I've found ways to cope. 

Thanks for reading my post.  Any good or bad experiences with moving to share?

16 comments:

  1. When we bought the present house over 35 years ago things did not go to plan. After exchanging contracts the mortgage interest rate increased from 9% to 11.5% and I discovered I was pregnant with my second child. That meant our outgoings were higher than our income. Times were tough for quite some time until I could return to work. I don'tthink we would have gone through with that move had we not exchanged contracts. Yes I remember only too well the anxiety of moving! Good choice for your first A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been a struggle. My kids look at me in disbelief when I tell them at one point we were paying over 14% interest.

      Delete
  2. We have moved four cities, and once each in three cities in the last 30 years. That makes it seven altogether. Not an easy thing at all. Finding a packer and mover, packing and unpacking, sorting stuff, arranging them in the new place, and the chance of finding some things broken ... It is a long haul.
    (A to Z Challenge participant)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, hard time. Hope it will be ok for you, and the house.

    If you want to, feel free to join the (non official) A to Z Challengers Linky Party:
    AtoZ Linky party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, such a hard thing to be trying to buy or sell right now, but perhaps it will work out in a good way for you. People who need to move but are unable to list their house currently might be more motivated. And there may be more inventory. I wonder about all the changes that are to come. Will people decide they need a different way of living going forward into what will likely be more scenarios like we're currently experiencing? Will people feel the need to relocate to have family more nearby? It will be interesting to watch. Good luck with the A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we will move. Just no idea when at the moment.

      Delete
  5. House hunting is indeed a stress. Glad you have the time for the A to Z challenge. Writing about it is probably a good way to get the stress out.
    Enjoy the month and stay well.
    ~Moonie
    http://moondustwriter.com/2020/04/01/alzheimers-and-old-butcher-knives-short-story-atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Toffee the cat: My old man and old woman have never moved house - they built the house they live in themselves. They said it was very hard work but very rewarding. Then a few years ago I moved in and have kindly allowed them to live with me ever since. I now consider them my staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you continue to be very happy there! lol

      Delete
  7. There were several times I thought Mary was going to say she didn't want to move after we had been to Atlanta and chosen a house. There are days I wish she had...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost named my "A" post A is for Anxiety, but I don't have a big move causing mine, just sheer lack of planning for the A to Z this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we're all a bit anxious at the moment

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.