Monday 13 April 2020

K is for Keys (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


K is for Keys

I find keys a nightmare.  Our house requires lots of keys.  3 for the front door, 2 for each of the 2 back doors and then there are various window locks which have different keys.  I also have a key to my daughter's house and my son's flat.  Too many keys!

I am pretty good at keeping track of them, except when I drop them into my handbag.  I mean I know they're in there but when I try to find them it takes me ages!

Thankfully we only have one car key.  Well actually I'm not thankful for that because if we lost it we'd be in big trouble.  We originally had 2 but somehow we managed to lose one.  I did look into getting a replacement but it was actually quite expensive so we decided against it. 

One of our next tasks when this lockdown is over will be to change our car - it's diesel and old so it's not eco friendly and by next year it would actually cost us money to just have it parked outside the house due to the introduction of a low emissions zone in our area.  It's definitely not worth us getting another car key now.

Of course when we move (when not if 🤞) we'll have to track down all our sets of keys for the new owners.  I think all the kids still have a set, plus one of the DILs although they're currently with the Estate Agent.  

Just another thing to put on the To Do list.

And then, if they're anything like me, they'll change the locks anyway!



 

14 comments:

  1. Keys can be a nightmare. Good luck finding and labelling them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have that many really. When I worked in the school I was a named keyholder. Now that was a nightmare lol

      Delete
  2. Keys in a lady bag... I know how it feels ;) I have a purse with a lot of pockets, and my keys are stored in their own pocket: house keys, car keys, work keys. Well of course if a loose my purse, I loose all of them ;)
    K is for Kaleidoscope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a keyholder for the school I worked at I had a separate bag for those keys.

      Delete
  3. Keys really are a nuisance arent they? I have keys that look identical so we have colour coded them with nailpolish so I don't spend all day trying to get in the house.
    Happy Monday
    The letter K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did that for the school keys - we got different coloured fobs to put on them

      Delete
  4. Except that we don't need a new car, the key story seems to be my story too ! I am always misplacing keys and it takes me hours to find them and in my purse I also have take everything out because it slipped on the bottom ! I hope we can get all papers signed in May, the buyer comes with an expert to look for asbestos, the apartment is still empty, I could sign but not move, as no moving company works ! What a mess !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I expect when we change our car it will be key less.

      Delete
  5. I talked about "rekeying" today, and one of the suggestions is that you change the locks whenever you move into a new house. I had never heard that efore, but it's probably a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's definitely a good idea to at least change one of the locks. (Our front door has 3 locks on it but just changing one would prevent any unwanted visitors.)

      Delete
  6. Keys! Yes. We have a key keeper by our back door where we keep our extra house key and sets of several neighbors' keys. We changed the locks when we moved in three years ago since we had no idea who might still have a key. Now extras are with our son, with our across-the-street neighbor, Joe and I both have one and the extra it hanging by the door. I used to have so many keys in my purse when I worked. I had keys to every door, nook, and cranny. My purse got 10 pounds lighter when I retired! We like having all the locks here working on one key. Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes when I had keys to the school they were a nightmare. So many different locks and keys. We have a keysafe in our porch so we shouldn't ever get locked out.

      Delete
  7. You are spot on. One of the most important elements in the house!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.