Tuesday 7 April 2020

F is for Furniture (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


F is for Furniture

Furniture is another thing to consider when moving.  Will my existing furniture fit in the new house and if it does fit will it look ok?

We have quite a lot of furniture – most of the bedrooms have freestanding furniture in them, although our bedroom has built in wardrobes.  We also have built in units and shelving in our lounge and other rooms.

When looking at a property we’ll need to consider what will be able to go with us and what we might need to buy or even discard.

If the purchase of the property we liked had gone through much of our furniture would have been able to go with us but we would have needed to look at how we stored a lot of our stuff and we'd need wardrobes or built in units made for the master bedroom.  I think our 2 sofas would have been too big in the lounge of the new house.  Assuming they went through the front door and hallway! 
Another thing to consider further down the line.  Removal companies are usually pretty good at getting things through small gaps around awkward corners etc.  Whether they will work with the current décor is another matter. 

Whereever we end up going we’d need to get in and settled first and then work out a plan!

Now thanks to Covid-19 most of my planning revolves around meals and shopping.  I'm quite enjoying this challenge though.  Keeps the brain ticking over.  How are you coping with this situation?
 

2 comments:

  1. It never dawned on me that buying a house (or even selling) would be affected by this virus. We are on week 4 of total "house arrest"-everything is shut down from businesses to parks here in western NY. It has wrecked our economy, sigh. ANYWAYS--I really don't want to talk about it.

    Keeping your Prime Minister in prayer, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Furniture is definitely a consideration when moving! We left a lot of our furniture with our boys when we moved to Florida 30 years ago. What we had was heavy and not "tropical" feeling. When we moved three years ago, we got rid of living room and dining room furniture. Ours was old and nearly worn out, plus the sofa was really too big for the new living room. Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.