Friday 17 April 2020

O is for Outlook (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


O is for Outlook

We currently have a lovely outlook from our house:

The land opposite us is known as Wanstead Flats, it's part of Epping Forest and is owned by the Corporation of London.

Essentially it's a piece of flat (hence the name) common land that is in the middle of a densely populated area of east London.  Our road forms one of the boundaries and we have an unobstructed view as there are houses on one side of the road only.

When we first moved here they still had cows grazing on the land.  They would wander across during the day and would often stray into the roads and front gardens if something took their fancy.  We had just a low wall and no gates then.  Now we have railings and gates but the cows are long gone thanks to the BSE problems in the 1990s.

Of course I know that we will struggle to find a house with such a lovely outlook again and I'm resigned to having to look out onto other houses.  That's one of the compromises I am prepared to make when finding our new home.

What would you compromise on when finding a house? 

6 comments:

  1. Oh this outlook, I thought you’d write about sending an email ;)
    O is for Oya

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a lovely outlook.

    We gave up alot when buying our present house but after living in one room, having electricity less than 50% of the time, sleeping under a net, and sharing a restroom with up to 10 other people I realized that I could live with very little.
    The Letter O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that must have been challenging.

      Delete
  3. That view is amazing, Wendy! Hard to give up. Our old house had a screened in pool and patio and a large corner lot. Our new house has a postage stamp lot and a pool up at the clubhouse. The trade off is no maintenance for the yard or for the pool. Our home is about the same size, both with three bedrooms and two bathrooms, but the no maintenance for us old folks was worth the step-down. Wishing you good luck in your search!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes unfortunately as we get older we do have to think about how much maintenance we're capable of doing/paying for.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.