Friday 24 April 2020

U is for Utilities (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


U is for Utilities

Ha, who wants to talk about utilities right now.  Well I had to talk about my gas earlier in the month when the hot water stopped getting hot - all fixed now.  And I definitly wouldn't buy a house with no gas supply - got to be able to boil a kettle if the power goes down.  Satellite or cable?  I'm easy on that front depending on the price.  That about covers that topic!

Plan B - Understanding.

I think we're all a little short on the understanding of what's going on right now.  How did we get into this mess?  When will we get out of it?  What's everyday life going to look like after we start easing out of lockdown?  How long will it take (if ever) to get back to some sort of normal?

Tough questions I know and I certainly don't have any deep, intellectual or scientific answers.

I do know that we need to be a little more understanding about one another at the moment .  

Some people are sailing through this lockdown period.  Enjoying the peace and quiet, or enjoying making lots of noise, making endless silly videos etc or just doing whatever it takes to get through.

Many I'm sure, like me, have good days and bad days or bad nights, when we wake up in the early hours and wonder when we'll see our families again.  That's the killer for me.  Facetiming the kids is great and watching all the videos of things the little ones are doing is lovely but also hard.  Blogging is a good outlet for venting your feelings or sharing some positivity when you can.

Social media and the news can be quite draining.  The news seems to be on a continuous loop with nothing changing very much apart from the death figures going up and the Government trying to tell us how well they're doing.  To be fair I don't think whoever was in power would be having an easy time of it now and yes, there may be questions asked later about how prepared we were against how prepared we should have been balanced by how prepared we could have been but hindsight is a wonderful thing.  

I certainly wouldn't want to be in one of those top jobs having to make difficult decisions and trying to work out the best way forward through this pandemic.  I'm guessing that many of the politicians, medical and science experts would rather not be either. 

Staying positive is hard work.  But constantly spouting negativity, running other people down, giving air to conspiracy theories and finding fault with everything makes it even harder.  So lets be a little understanding of one another, cut each other some slack and keep those uplifting videos, memes etc coming.  I might be withdrawing into my own little shell right now but I do appreciate those who are trying to make it easier to keep poking my head out.  Please don't snap it off.




8 comments:

  1. The worst is that nobody not even the scientifics know this virus exactly, they are all guessing and supposing and hoping etc ... to wear a mask or not to wear a mask, keep distance or not distance etc etc. I am curious how we will handle the new freedom ! Here they will start on May 5 by opening a few shops more ! I have to say I got used now to this life, that I am a bit reluctant to go out, especially with all these mad people around although in Waterloo we are very spoilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm not sure I will be rushing to go out, especially where it's crowded.

      Delete
  2. We all need a little more understanding and I wish we didn't have so much fake news circulating. Give us the real scoop! As for the utilities... we are all electric here but do have a propane gas grill outside so we aren't stuck with nothing to cook on if the power goes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have the best of both worlds :)

      Delete
  3. It hasn't affected me that badly because I'm pretty used to staying home for days at a time. I'm ignoring the broadcast news because they don't seem to be reporting anything positive, but that's normal for them, anyway. Mary does try to get me out every two weeks at a minimum, when we stay in the car and have lunch or get a cup of coffee. It would be nice to have all the restaurants open, but in lieu of that, being able to order and bring the food home has been a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes many places here have been trying to carry on by doing delivery orders or take away.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.