Monday 27 April 2020

W is for Windows (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


W is for Windows

When I drafted my list of posts for this challenge this was going to be a post about all the different types of windows you find in houses.  That was of course pre Coronavirus and pre lockdown.

Now we just look longingly from our windows, wishing we could go outside safely.  People put rainbows on them and messages for all our key workers who are keeping the vital services going and, of course, saving lives.

Now it's warmer we can start flinging the windows open, letting in the sun and warm air, but hopefully not this dreaded virus.

I count myself lucky in so many ways right now.  The views from our windows are lovely.  To the front we have a vast open space, to the rear we have a nice garden.  We are not stuck in a housing development where the windows might give a great view but feel just as enclosing as prison bars would do. Our window cleaner even came recently and cleaned the front windows as usual.  Social distancing was of course observed - payment was put down for her to pick up.  No physical contact occurred.

I seem to spend a lot of time looking out the window. 


18 comments:

  1. Yeah, those windows are keeping us safe, even though it can feel like part of the cage some days. It's not forever though.

    I hope you and yours are staying safe and healthy during this difficult time.

    J Lenni Dorner~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. Yes we're all doing fine apart from being a bit stir crazy

      Delete
  2. That is the first thing I look for when house hunting is windows. I have to have windows, grin. Right now, because of the mandated stay at home order (house arrest) windows have taken on a whole new meaning.

    Have a beautiful day friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I moved to the Chicago area in 2012, we had a small budget (which is even smaller now). I insisted that we would not live in an apartment complex. Since we couldn't afford a house, even the smallest, we ended up purchasing a small, old mobile home. People look down on people like me, but we have outdoor space that is incredibly priceless now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't always get to choose where we live but sounds like you've made the best of it.

      Delete
  4. Yes you are also sitting in a golden cage ! we are really lucky not living in a city center !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Windows can also be opened... Nice to have a beautiful view, and the sun coming inside the room.
    W is for Women

    ReplyDelete
  6. At this point, I think all of us do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh... windows, fresh air, and hopefully clear views! When our guy came to pressure wash the vinyl siding, he also got the outside windows and screens. They look much better now and I didn't lift a finger. Enjoy your views! I hope things loosen up a bit for you over there. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been thinking a great deal about windows as well. Our local PBS station is WTTW, and the letters were at one point branded Window To The World. I look out my windows these days and wonder about the world I'm seeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very different world at the moment.

      Delete
  9. Yes, very important those windows! We live in the flight path of SFO so when we first moved to our house we were luckily part of the noise abatement program and got all new double paned windows and thick doors. It really makes a difference as the train tracks are a block away on the other side! Just took the front windows off and cleaned them the other day. I can see clearly now! - LOL.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why am I not surprised you brought a song track into your reply lol

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.