Tuesday 28 April 2020

X is for Xerophytes (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


X is for Xerophytes

a plant e.g. a cactus, structurally adapted for life and growth with a limited water supply.

Yes I know this is a stretch for my theme but actually these are the sort of plants I need.  I am rubbish at keeping house plants alive.  The only plants in my house that seem to survive (and actually multiply) are spider plants.  I do remember to water them occasionally and I have managed to successfully plant their “babies” so I now have quite a few around the house.

This was useful when it came to showing the house to prospective buyers.  You know the drill: the house needs to be clean & tidy, looking its best.  Smelling nice helps too (where’s the coffee?) and of course fresh flowers add a nice touch.  I spent quite a bit over the few weeks we were “showing” our house.  Fortunately it was daffodil time, which are cheap but look good, but I also bought a few others.  That’s the problem with having a big house with lots of rooms, you need more than one vase of flowers.  And keeping them looking fresh is another chore to fit into the day. 

I’ve decided, if anyone asks me about a house warming gift I will reply with buy me a xerophyte!

(Actually I’ll probably be in more need of red wine and chocolates, just so you know.)



This post was prepared pre Covid-19 and now I'm definitely in need of red wine and chocolates, not to mention a haircut!

13 comments:

  1. That was a new word for me. I would dread having to keep the house looking tip top over a period of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't too bad actually. I just hope we don't have to do it all again though.

      Delete
  2. Tell them you want a xerophyte just to watch them go cross-eyed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even sure I could keep those alive!! Major brown (dark brown to black) thumb here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm not sure I want to put it to the test either lol

      Delete
  4. This is what we need on our front porch. Every year I try something pretty with lots of blooms but it just cooks on our front porch so hubs says this year we need to think cactus : ) Congrats on getting to letter X!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! On your last comment - aren't we all in need of a haircut!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am no good with plants either and don't like digging in the dirt so these would be perfect for our backyard too.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think our climate would support them outdoors but indoors they'd be fine.

      Delete
  7. I have several (maybe) "xerophytes" in my house. Well done - I have a new vocabulary word!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.