Friday 10 April 2020

I is for Imagination (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


I is for Imagination

You need a certain amount of imagination when viewing a house.  You have to be able to see beyond what's already there and imagine yourself, and your belongings in the space.

I actually find that easier when a house is currently occupied.  It's easier to substitute your own belonging with those there than picture your belongings in an empty room.  

Sometimes you have to imagine how the space could be adapted too.  Could 2 rooms be made into 1.  Can the kitchen be reconfigured to include more appliances.  (I'm rather attached to my tumble dryer!)

We actually viewed one house where there was planning permission for extending not only the ground floor but also the existing loft converted space.  The price of the house would have allowed us enough money to carry out the works but it would have been quite a tight time schedule.  Planning permission would have expired in August.

I didn't want to take on such a major project when I'm sure there are houses out there that would already meet our needs without further works.  With hindsight I'm glad we didn't get ourselves locked in to that house because given the current situation we would really be struggling to get to completion and in the house and works started by August.  I'm confident we would have been able to get an extension to the planning permission but that would have just been another hassle that we didn't need right now.

Now I'm putting my imagination to other uses.  Compiling blog posts for one.  Reading and recording stories for my Grandchildren.  And imagining what life will be like after Covid-19.  I'm not sure my imagination can cope with that right now though.

2 comments:

  1. you do need an imagination. I drew pictures of where all the furniture would go. It ended up not fitting.
    Your grandchildren will love the stories you write.

    The Letter I

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last three homes we purchased were empty. On TV, the home shows are always staging homes before showing them but when they are empty you can see the flooring and baseboards, etc. I'm sure we are the minority though. Thanks for the update... on to the letter J!!

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.