Wednesday 8 April 2020

G is for Garden (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


G is for Garden

We currently have a nice garden.  It's quite a good size - not too large but not small and, thanks to the input from a couple of gardeners over time, it's actually looking lovely, especially now when things are starting to bloom.

Obviously when looking at houses we're also looking at gardens.  But, to be perfectly honest I'm not really a gardener.  I'll do what needs doing, but I'm not an enthusiast like some people are. 

Realistically we need a garden that's easy to manage.  Not a project.  But we do need some sort of outside space.  We viewed one house that had the most boring garden I think I've seen.  It was square with a high fence all around and a patterned tiled floor and just a few plants in raised planters around the perimeter.   The house was quite nice but I just couldn't have coped with the garden or rather lack of it. 

Another house had no fence down one side - the owners said they owned both houses but would reinstate the fence before completion.  The house had been on the market for a while so why not just sort the fence out?  Although there were a lot of other things that needed sorting out with the house too which range a few alarm bells.

For now I'm just enjoying our own garden, particularly as we can't get out the same way and thankfully the weather has been co-operating!

How important is your garden?

 

4 comments:

  1. We don't have a garden as such. We have some plants in our balcony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a gardener either. I like it to look presentable but don't want to be the one keeping it presentable! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary and I often wonder whatever possessed us to buy a house on a half-acre lot with all the land that needs cultivation.Neither of us is a gardener, I'm not able to do any yard work, and it's all she can do to keep the lawn mowed and the weeds under some semblance of control...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in an apartment in a 14 story building in New York City and ached to have a garden from my earliest days. My husband does a lot of the work as I have back issues but I do love sitting in my small back yard in upstate New York. I do publish photos of some of my flowers on the 15th of every month. Some people do fill in their yards with concrete; I just don't understand that.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.