Thursday 9 April 2020

H is for Humour (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


H is for Humour

House hunting requires having a sense of humour sometimes or at least being able to see the funny side of things.

One house we saw had a very nice kitchen but it was really small, so much so that the washing machine and fridge freezer were in the adjoining conservatory.  Currently we have a washing machine and a separate tumble dryer.  I wouldn't want to be without a tumble dryer.  Mentally I was trying to work out where I would put one and drawing a blank.  Then we ventured into the garden, despite the fact it was raining, and the solution was provided - you put the tumble dryer in a box in the garden!  Yes, that's right you put down a concrete slab and run electricity to it, put your tumble dryer on the block then build a surround to keep it dry.  Good luck with getting your dry washing into the house when it's raining though.

What was even stranger was that this "box" was not even tucked away in a corner.

We did laugh about it afterwards as we'd never seen anything so strange.  But then  a few weeks later we viewed another house that had done the same thing with the tumble dryer and the washing machine.  At least this time the housing was tucked against the back of the house so it just looked liked storage units.  Given how wet our weather can be at times though I could not imagine myself buying a house where I had to do any part of the laundry routine outside! 

Do you have any funny anecdotes from moving house?

7 comments:

  1. Leopard print wardrobes, oven at ceiling height are the two things I can remember, and a balcony outside the living room without a door into it. Moved many times and some of the houses one has to see to believe. Here from the A-Z, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! With few exceptions, houses here on this side of the pond have laundry rooms or enclosed laundry closets where both washer and dryer are located together and are easily hidden from view. I can't imagine not having a dryer but sure wouldn't want to lug laundry outside. Good luck and do keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have rednecks where you live, too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really something to laugh ! I have never seen that either ! But I have to say if I didn't say it already the houses in Belgium and the apartments are very big compared to all other European countries. Where we have one room in the Netherlands, Germany France and Italy it would be two rooms ! In the new appartment I will have washing machine and tumble dryer separated with a wall in the bathroom, which is very big. One machine on top of the other. I wished so much I could move but we are all stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have reasonably good weather most of the time and I can't imagine doing my laundry outside like that. You're right, a sense of humor helps!
    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep i'm with laundry is tedious enough without doing it outdoors! I'm well behind on my A -Z decided to go it at my own pace this year! Well done on being at H!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Housing hunting can be funny, as long as you can stay positive and not give into anxiety. We were moving my mom to Indiana (four years after we moved ourselves) from Colorado and it was scary and amazing and fun all at the same time. One house we went into had a different colored carpeting and paint ensemble in each room. There were 10 rooms. This same house had a really low basement ceiling so you had to stoop to go down the steps and into each room. Another was nice but had a retrofitted garage that basically took up the entire back yard. My mom had puppies so she had to have a backyard. Good luck to you in finding the perfect new house when restrictions lift (if you've still decided to move). Stay safe! https://www.dianeweidenbenner.com/instant-pot-craze/

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.