Saturday 4 April 2020

D is for Decor (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:



D is for Decor


In the same way that carpets v flooring can be an issue when trying to visualise yourself in a house, décor is even more important.

We have seen some “interesting” finishes on our viewings. Some of it lovely, some not so. Again it’s difficult if somewhere has been recently refurbished and you hate it. It seems such a waste to remove wallpaper or repaint the walls. But sometimes it would just have to have been done.

Re-doing paint or wallpaper though isn’t a major problem (except when you have a DIY phobic hubby and have to factor in the cost of a decorator) but when it comes to kitchens and bathrooms that could end up being very expensive.

We’ve noticed some trends with décor in the houses we’ve viewed. Some good, some not so good. Using white, brick style, tiles in bathrooms and kitchens is definitely a thing and I’m fine with that.

Black framed showers also seem to be a new trend but another one I can live with. Heavily patterned floor tiles not so much.

Geometric designs on walls also seem to be a thing – we’ve seen several examples. Again some worked well, particularly if the colour scheme wasn’t too daring. Those that have obviously reflected they were in a child’s room would probably have been painted over!

It’s always interesting though to see what owners have done with their homes. And also how the estate agents describe them. We’ve learned to read between the lines!

Of course now we're currently locked down buying and selling houses has come to a halt. There was suggestion that viewing could continue on a virtual basis but I think you actually need to see a house yourself.

Would you ever consider buying a house after just a virtual viewing?




10 comments:

  1. I think the virtual viewing is okay but you definitely need to see a house in person before buying. I also think pictures don't always do a home justice and potential homes are eliminated before they're even seen up close. I do love seeing what people do in terms of decorating! Something out there for everyone I guess : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's interesting seeing what people have done with their homes.

      Delete
  2. Better to see things in real life, rather than virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh. I'm not sure I would completely trust a virtual viewing. Maybe that's a good way to decide which one(s) you want to actually see in person. Pictures won't tell you how the foundation looks or whether floors are soft or whether faucets are leaking. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No thats why we would have a survey done :)

      Delete
  4. I'd have to see the house for myself before I bought anything. Virtual tours tend to show you what the realtor wants you to see. A first glance, sure, a virtual tour's fine, but I don't sign anything until I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, no, sound too risky. Can't feel, smell, see the house. Virual tour is great for a first visit, then go in real ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes smell can be important lol

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.