Wednesday 29 April 2020

Y is for Yak (A-Z Challenge 2020)



In January of this year my hubby and I decided that it was time to move on to the next stage of our lives and move house.  I deliberated long and hard about whether it was a good move to take part in the A-Z Challenge this year (pun intended) given that we could be very busy, but decided on balance that having something to focus on might not be a bad idea.  Of course the decision on a theme was much easier to make – Moving House!  


Then Covid-19 put a stop to any ideas of moving so I’ve had to regroup and rethink my posts.  Which means I’m not as prepared as I’d liked to have been but here goes:


Y is for Yak

No I’m not talking about a domesticated (?) ox of Tibet but the art of yakking!  As in talking persistently, usually trivially and irritatingly.  I’m an expert at it.  I found myself doing a lot of it during the moving process, particularly when we had viewers in the house.

If I told the story of how we ended up moving to our house once, I must have told it to nearly every person who viewed our house and probably to many of the estate agents we had to deal with.

And of course I’m going to tell it again now.

By early 1993 we had been married and living together in our first home for 10 years and had 3 children.  They were 3, 5 & 7 but the house we were living in was perfectly adequate for our family.  We hadn’t even discussed moving although I suppose it was something we’d thought about as we were beginning to feel a bit cramped.

Anyway one morning an acquaintance of mine, who I knew through the playgroup both our youngest children attended, arrived at the group looking rather down.  We got into conversation and it turned out that her family were set to move but the buyer had just pulled out.  Upon further discussion (her describing her house, me not getting the layout) she extended an invitation for a coffee.  I was intrigued so I accepted.

I went to the house and fell in love with it.  The rest is history.  Although there was of course the slight hurdle of persuading my hubby that yes we did need to move and yes it had to be this house!  Sensibly he did make me go and view other houses in the area but eventually he had to admit this house was the one.

At the time of writing this post (early April) we're at a standstill with the moving process and, thanks to Lockdown, I'm not doing as much yakking.  Probably a double bonus for hubby!



8 comments:

  1. That's ok, we ear the story for the first time ;)) Nice to found the perfect house this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! Sometimes things are just meant to be and God puts the right people together to make it all happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's serendipity for you... And the nice thing is, you knew each other and were able to help each other out. It'd be great if every sale of a house was like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's not always so straightforward

      Delete
  4. Wonderful story. I hear so many of the horror stories, buyers pulling out at the last minute, but in this case it worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we're hoping our buyer doesn't pull out but nothing we can do about that.

      Delete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.