Tuesday 19 April 2022

A-Z challenge 2022 - P is for Pandemic

#AtoZChallenge 2022 Blogging from A to Z Challenge letter
Welcome to the conversations in my head with my friend Alice, previously seen in my 2019 A-Z posts and loosely based on Alice in Wonderland.  At least that's the plan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the pandemic over now Wendy?

No Alice I’m afraid it isn’t.  Things are much better here, thanks to better treatments and our vaccine programme but lots of people are still getting Covid they’re just not usually dying from it or being particularly ill unless they’re elderly or have other health issues.

That’s a good thing then?

Yes it is but in some areas of the world the vaccination process hasn’t been so successful and there are still lots of problems.

It’s been a strange time with everyone walking around with their faces covered.  Hard to tell what a person is thinking when you can only see their eyes.

Yes Alice, I would often forget that if I smiled at someone they couldn’t see I was doing that.

What was the hardest thing about it for your Wendy?

Not being able to see our family.  It was so strange suddenly being told we had to stay indoors, work from home.  Stay away from everyone.  We’ve never experienced anything like it.  It was hard, and of course worrying.  Especially at first when there were no vaccines and so many people were dying.

But it’s better now.

Well yes Alice things are better than they were but they’re also different.  For example many people will probably never go back to working full time in their offices.  There will always be an element of working from home and that will have an impact on how businesses work.  Many big companies won’t need so much office space and that has a big knock on effect.  For example the hospitality industry suffered hugely during the lockdowns but even now, with the reduced numbers of people going into cities and towns to work that affects hospitality and small businesses.

It’s not been a cheerful time has it?

No and the effect on people’s mental health is going to take a long time to sort out.  Mine included.  The toilet demon reared its head, I found I couldn’t settle to things in the same way. It was difficult.  And I had it easy compared to so many people.

But things are getting better.  We’re starting to get out more.  We’ve been away and I’m determined to do more.

Well sitting at home won’t get that extra weight off Wendy.  Although you’re easily meeting your Goodreads target.

I can always rely on you to be positive Alice.

Just being honest Wendy.  Just being honest.

Maybe you could try and be a bit more tactful.

There’s no fun in that Wendy.

You really do enjoy raising my stress levels don’t you Alice.

No Wendy, you’re perfectly capable of doing that all on your own.

9 comments:

  1. The pandemic has almost divided our lives into pre-covid and post-covid (i pray that time comes soooon) years. Sometimes I feel, some things have changed for ever .. Either way, we all are trying to resume our lives in a safe yet healthy happy way. Stopping by via the AtoZ master list. Happy blooging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we will never get rid of Covid, it will just settle in like the flu. You get your vaccine each year if you want to and that's it. Anyway the last version of Covid is exactly like a flu, your nose is running, you cough and your throat hurts. Most of the people don't do the test anymore, they just stay home take medication like for the flew maybe now we have the covidflew ! I think to people have changed. Some are still hysterical about the virus, others not. Since today we don't even have to wear masks in the public transports, but I would do ! Something very good in the two years I was never sick no cold no flu !

    ReplyDelete
  3. My theme itself is covid for challenge....mentally i was impacted a lot. Had to go to a neuro psychyatrist due to repeated migraine...i saw hell for 6 months....and i still feel pangs of depression....and yes like u told it may never be same again...that last qand a made me smile...i love ur unfiltered Alice talks...u shud publish a novella out of it....it will be a Hit...to me ur posts are destressing!

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like the phrase "new normal" but I definitely think that there will be a different way of life from now on.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was getting better around here for a bit. I am afraid we are in for another round to be honest.

    --
    Tim Brannan
    The Other Side | The A to Z of Conspiracy Theories

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's definitely no fun in being tactful ;)

    Facing The Mountain

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you could possibly have done a whole A to Z challenge on the Pandemic! A little tact goes a long way in these stressful times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Florida has been more open than most states for many months but there are still leftover covid emotions and mental health issues. It will be a long time (if ever) that it will all be erased. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s certainly been a different time but I’m very grateful to have vaccines available. Life has changed and photos of crowds ten to make me hyperventilate. Being somewhat immunocompromised I’ve been cautious and still wear a mask when out near other people. I think the pandemic had the virtue of helping to realised what was important in our lives.

    Https://cassmobfamilyhistory.com

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.