Friday 12 October 2018

12th October - 31 days & FMF - Praise

http://fiveminutefriday.com/2018/08/30/31-days-five-minute-free-writing-prompts-2018/
http://fiveminutefriday.com/2018/10/11/fmf-link-up-praise-day-12/


In an effort to get blogging on a regular basis it seems I need a challenge. I've opted to try and complete this one as it's only supposed to take 5 minutes each day. Of course it takes a bit longer than that to get the post presented how I want it but the content was done with a timer.

If you want to find out more, join in or just check out other participants click on the "31 days" image above.

Today’s prompt is Praise and it's also the regular Five Minute Friday promt.  


Here's my 5 minutes' worth:

Despite the fact that, like most people I’m sure, I like being praised I’m not actually very good at accepting it. I tend to qualify whatever I’m being praised for or complimented on. It’s clearly to do with confidence, or lack of it and not feeling worthy.

Sounds daft I know. I think it partly stems from doing well at school from a young age but not enjoying the attention that came with it. Coming top of the class was an achievement that brought praise from teachers and my parents but didn’t always endear me to my friends. Or the parents of the other kids. I missed one set of exams due to a bout of mumps. A mother of one of the boys remarked to my Mum that she was sorry I was unwell but at least it would give others a chance of getting the top place. I only ever tried to do my best.

Now I’m better at accepting praise and compliments. A simple thank you is usually enough. I also try and make sure I give praise. Being positive is much better than being negative but that’s still something I struggle with. But acknowledging I can be a glass half empty person is a step in the right direction.

I know that I have a lot to be thankful for and definitely worth praise.


Phew just about getting this posted on the day!  My other name must be Cinderella.

7 comments:

  1. I appreciate your honesty, Wendy, and the wise instruction, " A simple thank you is usually enough." Indeed. Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you I enjoy having a prompt to keep me writing. Good for you doing the challenging 31 days! I enjoyed your honesty. Have a blessed weekend. I'm visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve PRAISE for keeping up with this and all you do!! Whoohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really doesn't take too many words to share praise with another. I believe in giving praise where praise is due. I praise you for continuing on with this challenge. Good job! I'm in the #20 spot this week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just discussing this subject this morning with my husband. So often, we wanted to validate or filter a compliment or praise - rather than simply accept it. Not sure why....but I want to try and more gracious and learn that "simple thank you."

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.