Saturday 13 October 2018

13th October - 31 days - Talk

http://fiveminutefriday.com/2018/08/30/31-days-five-minute-free-writing-prompts-2018/
In an effort to get blogging on a regular basis it seems I need a challenge. I've opted to try and complete this one as it's only supposed to take 5 minutes each day. Of course it takes a bit longer than that to get the post presented how I want it but the content was done with a timer.

If you want to find out more, join in or just check out other participants click on the image above.

Today’s prompt is Talk and here's my 5 minutes' worth:

My hubby would probably say that I could talk for England. I would disagree. Yes I can be very verbose when talking with people I’m comfortable with and I will admit to using a paragraph when a sentence would do. I guess that’s the writer in me trying to escape. I don’t condense my storytelling unless the listener looks like their eyes are glazing over and I’m clearly losing their attention. My blog isn’t called Wendy’s Waffle by chance!

But talking to strangers, making small talk in social situations and I’m often the opposite. I know that some people might think I’m standoffish but in reality it’s just shyness and a lack of confidence.

That’s not to say I can’t step up to the plate if necessary. I once addressed the main assembly of people at a conference I was attending. It was totally nerve wracking but I managed to do it mainly I think because I wasn’t given a lot of notice and just had to get up and do it.

I’m doing a lot of talking at a child’s level these days. The two days I look after Grandson Nathan I don’t think I stop talking. He’s saying a few words now and making lots of sounds but I know how much they absorb so I talk to him at every opportunity. We have some brilliant one sided conversations. I find they’re the best sort sometimes! It’s always good to talk.


It was Mental Health Awareness Day this week so that's a good reminder.

3 comments:

  1. I love that you are talking to Nathan so much! He will be a talker, too! Well done, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conversations with the grandchildren are the best even if they are one sided!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment that you have some brilliant one-sided conversations made me laugh. What a treat you are giving your grandson with all the talk you surround him with. Won't it be so FUN, once he starts steering the talk between you two?

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments and will do my best to acknowledge them, either by replying here or dropping in on your blog.

Thanks for stopping by.